YOU in a world of Sensible Humans and Insensible beings
Do you look at the happenings around you, like the news, the world current affairs, work place politics, or internal family dramas and wondered what the hell is wrong with these people? Some of the current events in our world make you wonder how people can truly be this blind or ignorant for doing what they do. And almost instantly by comparing ourselves to such people we invariably think of them as being far lesser than us and proceed to make snap judgements about them with regards to their culture, intellect, morals, values, religions, or at times race. But the poignant fact is that often times you fail to realize that you are no different from them. Simply because we are all created as intelligent humans but grow up to develop several insensible and damaging habits, beliefs, behaviours and personalities that we seldom realize.
The reason why the world lacks unity, and lies broken and in heaps, is, because man is disunited with himself. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
To illustrate what I mean, here are a few short examples of how sensible humans are:
- We know that unhealthy eating habits will result in eventual severe health problems, but we will still choose to indulge in it.
- We know that smoking is severely damaging to our health but we will still choose to smoke.
- We are fully aware that education will help us get better jobs and succeed in our careers and life but many of us drop out of school or refrain from pursuing further education.
- People of all faith systems have almost identical ideologies on morals, values, sins, and respecting and loving each other, yet they develop hatred for each other under the name of religion or rituals.
- We live with a false sense of entitlement to everything nice in life, but seldom do anything to earn it. And success needs to find us as opposed to us working towards it.
- We love to possess beyond our needs and want beyond our affordability.
- We readily offer unsolicited advice and criticism on everything and everyone but almost never can appreciate anyone saying anything about us nor do we voluntarily indulge in self criticism.
- We choose to go out of our ways and beyond our limits of patience to tolerate strangers and seldom extend this nature of ours to our loved ones and those who matter.
- We are often highly opinionated about things we hardly know all the facts and details about. Especially about things that truly doesn’t concern us directly.
- We love to put our ego and arrogance before any understanding and humility.
We the intelligent humans do such insensible things and possess the audacity to deny it as well. We take on an authoritative stance when we impose our opinions on others and assume a herd mentality to follow several systems and beliefs we choose. Worse is when we move from our herd mentality to a mob behaviour. So, with such insensible behaviour patterns when and how can we turn things around towards becoming intelligent beings and develop progressive positive behaviours?
Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is. ~Albert Camus
The answer is ironically within the same paradoxes as discussed above; we know where we are going wrong and what is the right thing to do, but we need to have the responsibility and self commitment to make the change now. We need to make every effort to identify our insensible behaviours, stop, think and choose to do the right thing. And we need to begin this behaviour today. Now!
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. ~ Barack Obama
After all we are perhaps the most advanced beings living on the face of this planet with the most advanced of tools, technology and easily accessible wisdom. In these time and age, we are almost out of any excuse to blame anyone or any system for our poor decisions and behaviours. The next time before you lose our cool, make snap judgements, develop baseless opinions, take decisions without thinking or say callous and hurtful things to people, it will be in your best interest to pause for a moment and think: are you trapped in a world of insensible being or you are one of them?
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi